I’m looking at the first episode of Goranger, and posting my thoughts. Because this is still a Summer of Showa.
-The opening song is funky
- You’ll never see an opening episode like this on Power Rangers
- Shotaro Ishinomori checklist: International super-terrorist organization filled with monsters, no scarves this time but the Rangers do get snazzy capes, an Organization WITH a Cool Acronym (EArth Guard LEague)
- Since our heroes are chosen by having the sheer luck of being sole survivors of their bases’ being destroyed, they need a training montage to learn to use their suits.
- There’s a doge that gives them secret messages.
- EAGLE HQ is in the basement of a sushi shop. The proprietor seems vaguely aware of this.
- I forgot the mention this before, but the bad guys, the Black Cross Crusaders, are a weird bunch. They don’t use guns, but they throw exploding crosses; the generals/monsters are much more obviously guys in costumes that SHOCKER’s monsters over on Kamen Rider (In-universe, I mean)
- What kind of teacher takes kindergartners to a field trip to a GUNPOWDER FACTORY?! Especially with a Ruthless Terrorist Organization Determined to Rule the World on the loose. They’re lucky the Gorangers save them, or that school is as good as shut down.
- Gold Mask, our villain for today’s episode, looks like the Grim Reaper with a nice tan.
- Toei didn’t come up with the giant robot idea yet, so the Gorangers’ biggest weapon is a rejected Thunderbird machine.
- The Gorangers’ weapons come out of their visors, except Momoranger, who uses exploding earrings. You read that right.
- I will never get tired of the Gorangers’ exploding sports ball finishers.
- For a guy leading a group called Black Cross, the evil leader wears a whole lotta white.
Ah, the Seventies.